I had a Linux nightmare. Seriously.

I dreamed that somehow my hard disk had gotten corrupted, and I was at the command line trying to figure out what was wrong. Except /bin/ls was corrupted too, causing it to act like rm at random times. So as I tried to fix the system, I was gradually destroying it.

But somehow, I had a completely fresh install of Debian on another partition. So I rebooted into that, hoping that I could work from there without the corruption. But I found that its files were corrupted in exactly the same way. And when I typed "ls;/" (the semicolon was some sort of typo), it ended up doing "rm -rf /".

I figured this out from the way my hard disk was chugging, and quickly hit ctrl-C, but many files had been removed from both partitions. While I was getting an increasing sense of desperation and deciding to install a third Debian system to salvage what I could, I woke up.

And during the day, the news came out that Linux 2.4.15 had a serious bug. It would corrupt your filesystems whenever you unmounted them - so attempting to do something about the problem would at first make it worse.

I had eerie flashbacks to my dream. I started thinking about how many times I had unmounted my partitions since I installed the new kernel, and how many files might already be lost. I searched desperately for information on how to resolve the problem. And then I realized that I was actually running 2.4.14, that I had downloaded and compiled it the day before 2.4.15 came out, and breathed a huge sigh of relief.