Been so long since seeing "hydrostatic shock" discussed as real, I will confess to be taken aback. First and foremost, small arms and their munitions are designed to kill, not maim. One of the reasons full metal jackets remain in play is the fact that a standard is necessary for economy of scale purchasing, and the rounds submitted for consideration ranged from small explosive devices to hollowpoints that clogged so easily as to be rendered FMJ's and nothing else. The capability to fire through barriers is of prime consideration, and that opens yet another can of worms in deciding what type of expanding ammo sould be employed. Pressure wave incapacitation comes from velocity, and velocity alone, and is a science as opposed to hydrostatic mumbo-jumbo. Rifle's employing 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm NATO cartridges have giddyup from 3000-3600 feet per second, and the wounding is incurred...from full metal jackets, mind you...by the speed of the round and not it's paltry weight.

Handguns are a different story, and SHOULD expand to provide the maximum level of incapacitation. Disregarding central nervous system hits, most targets are not killed in the snap of a finger as seen in theatrical presentations, and even the best of munitions can merely wound. The handgun round relies upon size and placement to perform the task, and since modern armies must now also provide weapon systems for those small of stature, recoil is of prime consideration.

Most NATO countries cheat anyway when manufacturing FMJ's. as there is no super-dee-duper inspector general prancing about to assure that the jacket meets minimal standards, and the French in particular create rounds that are almost painted with copper and not truly jacketed. (Saves lots of money)

The debate has been raging for well over a hundred years, and to keep it simple law enforcement and miltary experts advise the following:

Any bullet over 2500 FPS can introduce an unsurvivable wound regardless of it's design due to the effects of pressure waves upon the target. Any bullet of a lower velocity should mushroom to create a larger wound channel.