New Zealand Meths

In an interesting twist, New Zealand meths does not actually contain any methanol, nor anything else poisonous: it contains flavouring. Nasty flavouring. Like everywhere else, it is also dyed so that you don't accidentally drink it.

Why would anyone ever do this?

It is cheaper to add flavouring than to add methanol.

The result

Due to the vile flavour, only the most down-and-out drunks would ever consider drinking this stuff, and when they do, they don't run the risk of going blind. Those who perhaps wish to retain the most insignificant shred of dignity may drip the spirits through brown bread before drinking, removing the dye. Still tastes bloody awful, though.