Dimmu Borgir - "Puritania"
from the Album "Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia"

{We will do away with your kind
(someone) must exterminate the humans
let chaos rule them}

Let chaos entwine
On defenseless soil
Remove errors of man
And sweep all the weakening kind

I am war,I am pain
I am all you've ever slain
I am tears in your eyes
I am griefs,I am lies

Bygone are tolerance
And presence of grace
Scavengers are set out
To cleanse the human filth parade

I am pure,I am true
I am all over you
I am laugh,I am smile
I am the earth defiled

I am the cosmic storm
I am the tiny worms
I am fear in the night
I am bringereth of light

{earth successfully erased}

@ Dimmu Borgir 2001


At first this song pretends to be a piece boasting about the coming of the light bringer, and of his powers - but listening more closely one can hear a german(?) voice in the background (after "...to cleanse the human filth parade" and "....I am bringereth of light"). This voice has the same tone of speech as Adolf Hitlers speaches. To me, this brings a deeper level into the lyrics - can the song serve as a reminder of Nazi Germany? The lyrics can be twisted to support this - "I am pure, I am true" does preach Nazi ideas - and used in conjunction with "We will do away with your kind" and "...cleanse the human filth parade" this paints a horrible picture indeed. "Remove errors of man" and "bygone are tolerance" - does this tell of the holocaust?

The end question of course is - does this preach, enlighten or warn ? I might be tempted to both say "enlighten" and "warn" - it is up to us to remember what can become when tolerance disappears. This, in the end is my opinion of the song, but I can see that the more avid followers of the black faith can see this song as en encouragement.


This is the first song to expose me to black metal, and it's pretty much unique for the genre in that you can easily hear the words of the song, except the intro which i've put in { brackets }.

The song itself has a very good symphonic score - very clear and the strings and synts compliment the guitar very nicely. Nick Barker's drums are just plain wicked on this track - tight and very very quick. This is unlike anything I have ever heard. The bass guitar takes over the rythm section in this song - this leads to serious head-banging - pure excellence.