The mystical, wonderful, Yoshi Egg, full of the mysteries of life.

Yoshi Eggs are created by Yoshis -- fire-breathing, wing-sprouting, ground-pounding, berry-eating, hovering, implicitly-labeled dinosaurs.

Any enemy that Yoshi eats is turned into an egg. The strange thing is that all of these eggs are identical. No matter what kind of enemy Yoshi eats, he always spits out an egg of the same shape, the same size, the same internal pressure, the same decorations (which by the way, are filled ovals of the color of the Yoshi's skin).

Note that this only applies to enemies. Berries, on the other hand, do not cause Yoshi to spawn eggs.

Note that these Yoshi eggs, all of which are identical, all of which are of the same size and shape, all of which have the same internal pressures and decorations, these eggs create minor explosions upon impact. These minor explosions come in various colors closer to the high-frequency end of the optical spectrum, meaning that these explosions are usually denoted by flashes and sparks of blue and purple light.

Anyways, let's trace the evolutionary changes of the Yoshi's body to create the various versions of Yoshi Egg.

Super Mario World (SNES)

Initially, Yoshis only laid eggs via the consumption of berries. 10 red berries caused a Yoshi to lay an egg with a Mushroom inside and 2 pink berries caused a Yoshi to lay an egg with a coin showering cloud inside.



Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)

At this point in evolution, Yoshis were only able to create green eggs, and yes, every egg was identical from physical appearance to internal pressure. The neat thing about these eggs was that you could ricochet them to change their colors and contents.
  • Initial -- Green Color -- Empty
  • First Impact -- Yellow Color -- Empty
  • Second Impact -- Red Color -- Coin



Yoshi's Story (N64)

In this stage in the evolutionary process, the Yoshi's created eggs that lost the ricochet-to-change-color-and-contents ability in exchange for the eggs' decorations being the color of their skin tone.



Super Smash Bros. (N64) / Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)

And here we are today, with the Yoshi in Super Smash Bros.' eggs losing the ricochet ability completely. The eggs he produces from eating enemies are of variable size depending on the enemy, and he cannot pick them up.

The only thing I can see as an evolutionary step in the right direction is that Yoshi can now create eggs out of air indefinitely, without requiring the consumption of an enemy first.


All in all, we await the next version of the mysterious Yoshi Egg!

Note: Yoshi is a registered and copyrighted trademark of Nintendo.