OK, you have your squat open, but it's not like home yet is it? No light, no heat, no music. If you have an electricity meter with a 'key' you can avoid all of the dangerous steps below, simply take the key (or request a key from the electricity company with the number you will find on the meter) and charge it up with your own cash at the local pay point. However if this is not possible; get your free electrickery here...

THIS IS DANGEROUS, BE AWARE.

Grab your torch and find the point that the electricity comes into the house; you can identify this by finding the electricity meter. The wires (which will be big thick fuckers) will lead into a fuse-box (Which should have a seal), then into the meter then onto the rest of the system. A fuse-box that is after the meter will have no seal. This secondary fuse-box will have either switch fuses or plug fuses... the give away is the lack of a seal.

NOTE: You may need to cut the seal to open the primary fuse box.

STEP ONE: Once you have found the right fuse box, pull out ALL the fuses. These will probably be of the plug variety (but may be switched, so switch them off), just make sure you have no power running through the system.

STEP TWO: If you have your electrician's screwdriver you should check the current on both sides of the meter, if you get a reading you fixed the wrong fuse-box. Go back and try again.

STEP THREE: Leading into the meter you will find two pairs of wires, one red and one black in, one red and one black out. All you have to do is cut into each wire. If you don't want to worry about the electricity company coming around you can simply cut both pairs and join them (black to black, red to red). However I suggest that you take two lengths of cable and join black to black, red to red. The reason for this is if you need to hide the fact you are stealing electricity you can simply pull away this 'bridge'.

STEP FOUR: Using your insulating tape wrap the connections VERY WELL, we don't want any dead squatters.

STEP FIVE: Put the fuses back, you should find that you have free electricity.

NOTE: You can pull out the fuses when the electricity company call and say the landlord has kept them, you can reseal the fuse box with the seal (you did keep that little seal didn't you?) or you can pull the bridge I told you to install and claim ignorance... not a lot the company can do if they can't find you a couple of months later. In my experience this does not happen very often... after all your not about to let people into the house to read the meter are you?