Lionheart is the first effort at creating a Computer RPG by up-and-comer, Reflexive Studios. It is set to be published in March 2003 by Interplay and distributed by French giant Vivendi Universal. Reflexive Studios is co-developing Lionheart with Black Isle Studios, known for their Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series of games in addition to Fallout 2, the series of which was originally the brainchild of Tim Cain, who later became one of the three main founders of Troika Studios along with several other former employees of Interplay, and Planescape: Torment which they had co-developed with Colin McComb, creator of the Planescape setting of Dungeons & Dragons and author of numerous D&D campaigns and materials.
Lionheart is set to feature:
- A vast story taking place on a historical divergent Earth during what should be the renaissance after a mystical cataclysm has occurred.
- The SPECIAL Rules System (from Fallout 1 & 2) adapted to a real-time fantasy setting - including 30 skills, 40 perks, and 15 traits.
- Classless system allows the user to customize their character however they want as they advance to as high as 60th level.
- Eight major areas of the world contain over 80 levels that range from pure story and dialogue areas to pure combat challenges.
- Fast paced combat in a rich and detailed world where dialogue interaction and story play equally large roles.
- Characters in the world that can join your party and fight for and with you, all of whom travel with their own agendas and may leave at a moment's notice.
- Cooperative multi-player allows as many as four friends to play through the single player game.
- A random item generator allows the player to find literally thousands of different weapons and items, in addition to unique items and equipment.
- Beautifully 2D rendered backgrounds with 3D characters for no depreciation of visual quality and a high frame rate, through the use of Reflexive Studios' own Velocity Engine.
- Four unique player races.
- Over fifty enemies to challenge your combat and spell-casting abilities.
- Over thirty spells that evolve and grow with as your characters' abilities increase.
- Simple and intuitive gameplay with a clean interface.