2 large onions, sliced
1/2 pound sliced gruyere or swiss cheese
1/8 pound butter
1 8 inch pie shell
6 slices bacon
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
Dash of nutmeg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1. Saute onions in butter for 20 minutes. Pour into a sieve to drain off butter.
2. Partially bake pie shell. (You may make your own from brisee dough or use pre-made pie crust, like pillsbury's).
3. cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces, fry crisp and drain.
4. Put cornstarch, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Add enough cream to make a paste. Add remainder of cream, milk, eggs and egg yolk. Thoroughly mix together with a whisk, but do not beat.
5. put bacon pieces and sliced gruyere and onions into pieshell. Strain milk mixture into crust. Skim foam from surface with a spoon
6. Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another ten minutes, or until quiche is set like custard.