Any number of fried rice recipes popular in Louisiana among cajuns and creoles. Many recipes call for chicken gizzards and livers which give the rice a muddy color, I personally detest chicken livers and gizzards, so the recipe I use (freely adapted from my grandmother's) doesn't call for any.

Ingredients

Six cups of pre-cooked long grain white rice, chilled overnight
One pound of chaurice
1/2 Pound of andouille, slice on the bias One large spanish onion, diced
Several cloves of crushed garlic (I like lots)
one cup of celery, chopped
Creole Seasoning (I like Zatarain's, but Tony Chachere's is an acceptible substitute. You can also make your own)
4 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 stick of butter
Several dashes of Crystal Hot Sauce or Tabasco (to taste)

Instructions

It is important that the rice be prepared beforehand, and chilled, otherwise the resulting dish will be gummy and the improper texture. Using chicken stock to cook the rice in instead of water adds a pleasant flavor to final product, but it is not a neccessary step.

Take the chaurice patties and crumble them into a cast-iron skillet on medium heat. Cook until browned, drain and set aside. Brown the sliced andouille, drain and set aside.

In a large pot, saute the garlic, parsley, onion and celery in about a tablespoon of butter. When onions are carmelized, add the rest of the butter. Reduce flame to low. Begin gradually spooning rice into pot, making sure to stir constantly. Add creole seasoning while stirring. Raise heat to medium, and stir rice mixture constantly. Add chaurice and andouille, add several splashes of hot sauce. When the rice is of a uniform light brown color, and all the ingredients are mixed in thoroughly it is ready.

Serves: 3-5 people as a main course, up to 8 as a side dish.