The links between Trent Reznor
, Tori Amos
and Neil Gaiman
have disturbed me for a long time. No, I'm not referring to the fact that all three are wildly popular with Goth
chicks. The connections are far more insidious. Ok, they're not really, but here they are anyway, or at least the ones I've been able to catalog:
- Amos' song Tear In Your Hand from Little Earthquakes includes the lyric: "If you need me, me and Neil will be hanging out with the Dream King", which is a clear reference to Gaiman and his comic The Sandman.
- Issue #41 of The Sandman, page 9, panel 5, has the song Tear In Your Hand "playing" in the background, specifically the lyric immediately preceeding the one mentioned above.
- The Sandman character Delirium, when drawn by artist Jill Thompson, looks a lot like Tori Amos.
- The Sandman himself, AKA Morpheus, when drawn by artist Jill Thompson, looks a lot like Trent Reznor.
- Artist Jill Thompson pencilled the Sandman story arc Brief Lives. Issue #41 is the first issue in this story arc.
- Amos lyric: Space Dog from Under The Pink: "Seems I keep getting this story twisted, so where's Neil when you need him?"
- Another Amos lyric: Precious Things from Little Earthquakes: "Those Christian boys... with their Nine Inch Nails and little fascist panties tucked inside the heart of every nice girl."
- Amos has a song, Professional Widow, with the word "starfucker" in what could nominally be called the chorus. Reznor has a song called Starfuckers Inc.
- Still another Amos lyric: Caught a Lite Sneeze from Boys For Pele: "Caught a lite sneeze, dreamed a little dream, made my own Pretty Hate Machine". Gaiman bonus: Issue #3 of The Sandman is titled "Dream a Little Dream of Me".
- Reznor sings backup vocals on Amos' song Past The Mission from Under The Pink.
- Reznor makes frequent references to pigs, especially in lyrics from The Downward Spiral. Amos is pictured inside the sleeve of Boys For Pele breastfeeding a baby pig.
Amos seems to be the nexus; I admit the Reznor-Gaiman links are weak and I'm still looking for more.