This is quite possibly the easiest vegetarian chili recipe of them all. I grew up with my mother making this chili from time to time; Now it has become a staple of my bachelor diet. While I am not a vegetarian, I was largely raised that way and even now limit my meat intake to the occasional fish or fowl.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15.5oz) light red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can (10.75oz) condensed tomato soup
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
Add salt then boiling water to TVP and let sit until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Dice onion and sauté in oil on medium heat for two minutes in a large sauce pan. Add TVP mixture and all other ingredients to onion. Mix well and heat until hot.