One of my friends has a brother whose friend has access to vast quantities of antiquated computers, so he has this habit of getting 486's and such in mass quantities. It just so happens that he 'lent' one to my friend (i.e. It's on indefinite loan, so we might as well just own it), without a monitor, keyboard, or anything. I had the fun of poking at it with him.

It's important to point out that my friend's family is religiously devoted to Apple, and thus their house is filled with Macintoshes. The 486/DX that he had obtained was, for blatantly obvious reasons, not afiliated with Apple in any way shape or form. I didn't make much of a note of it until we booted it up.

"What? It's got 640K of RAM?!?"
"That's what we like to call conventional memory."

We immediately noticed the fact that we had no keyboard. We also took a look at the back of the box, taking note of the nature of all of the connectors. We found what we thought was the one for the keyboard.

"What the hell is that?"
"I have no fucking clue"

Seeing as how my first computer was an IBM XT, and the one after that a 486/SX, I expected to know what the hell that connector was. After a long while, we were able to ascertain, with the help of my friend's vast resources, that it was a 5-pin DIN connector. All of the keyboards I had were PS/2. Where did we go from here? Goodwill. After rumagging through their half-functional electronics, we emerged with a keyboard that fit our criteria, returning to his house only to find out that Tom's RTBT didn't boot properly. Bollocks.

I hope this is a good laugh for all of you old, wizened hackers that think microcomputers are the new kids on the block. Otherwise, I hope it's just an anecdote that doesn't prove to be complete and utter crap. I just find amusement in playing with (relatively) antiquated hardware.