Ketamine is also known as Special K or just plain K. This drug is a pain reliever and muscle relaxant that has been used and abused for quite some time, but happens to be growing in popularity particularly at raves, where Ecstacy (aka Ex or E) and acid are typically more common. Despite being a prescription drug Ketamine isn't legal for human consumption! That's right, because they're cat tranquilizers.

Ketamines do have their beginnings in the seventies where they were used as a pain reliever for soldiers in the Vietnam War who had been seriously wounded in combat. Ketamines were used because they would completely relax the soldier, giving him no control over his muscles whatsoever. Also, when injected Ketamines take less than 30 seconds to take effect, in fact it is a good idea to make sure someone being injected with ketamines is lying down because he or she will begin to come under the effect of the drug before the injection is complete.

Ketamines have not been in use for humans in the seventies, however smaller doses are now given to cats to relax them, or in larger doses to knock them out for surgery. The easy accessibility of prescription drugs for pets has made Ketamines very popular. This drug can be swallowed in pill form or snorted, though it is most effective when it is injected sub-cutaneously.

Users of Ketamines will act in a slowed-down fashion and have reported afterwards to feel largely disconnected from their body, as if the mind and body had become seperated. Some have also reported some psychedelic effects. While this drughas not recieved very much media attention, particularly compared to the wildly popular drug ecstacy it is likely that it will get more attention as it spreads out of clubs in the New York City and Boston and its popularity spreads out across the United States.