One of the founding fathers, so to speak, of the industrial music genre. Throbbing Gristle, which takes its name from a Yorkshire slang term for an erect penis, was more a performance artist group than a band and did some things on stage generally consider to be sick, perverted, disturbing, etc. including body mutilation, sex acts, combinations of the two, and all around freakish behavoir. Their material is pretty hard to find these days and is usually somewhat expensive as a result. From what music of their's I have heard, I can say it's definitely much, much creepier than what's regarded as industrial today. All of their live shows were recorded and sold on audio cassettes.

Members included Chris Carter, Genesis P-Orridge (born Neil Megson), Cosey Fanni Tutti (born Christine Newby), and Peter Christopherson. Christopherson didn't originally want to be a part the group and had to be convinced to join. He isn't credited on some of their releases. After five years together (1977 to 1981), Throbbing Gristle disbanded. Carter and Tutti went on to work together as Chris and Cosey and CTI. Christopherson and P-Orridge went on to form Psychic TV with John Balance. Two Psychic TV albums later, Christopherson and Balance left Psychic TV to form Coil, of which they are still members.

Discography:

Discography information obtained from http://brainwashed.com/tg/.