The sad Boingo described by aderack above was the name of the incarnation of Oingo Boingo during 1994. Boingo released one album titled: Boingo (not to be confused with Oingo Boingo's Boi-ngo). The horn section of Oingo Boingo, though they didn't tour with the Oingoless Boingo and didn't appear in any of the pictures of the band in the album's sleeve, was listed amongst the band members in the album's liner notes. While touring in support of this album, Boingo also played a few Oingo Boingo songs without the horn section. In 1995, Boingo got its Oingo back on the band's final tour where, six songs into the set list, the horn section was welcomed back on stage.

Oingo Boingo had a much more upbeat, danceable sound to it. Boingo was quite the opposite. The album's packaging was dark. The lyrics were darker. The music was even darker. Danny Elfman wore black (okay, so that doesn't really matter). In addition to another guitarist, Boingo's songs also included pieces created by an orchestra conducted by (Oingo) Boingo lead guitarist Steve Bartek and arranged by singer/guitarist/songwriter Danny Elfman. All the songs on Boingo were written by Danny Elfman with the exceptions of a cover of The Beatles' "I Am The Walrus" and "Pedestrian Wolves," which though not mentioned in the liner notes, Elfman has stated in an interview that the music for was mainly improv by the band. Boingo, musically, was the fusion of a rock band and what Elfman could do with an orchestra, which he had quite a bit of experience with already, having branched off into scoring film several years earlier.

The lyrics on this album deal with emotional and political issues far more deeply than on previous Oingo Boingo releases. The album probably would have been a big hit with more disaffected members of society were it a bit more marketable. The songs are long though. Very long (except "Tender Lumplings") for a rock band. Nevertheless, the album is great just largely unheard of.

Track list:

  1. Insanity (7:57)
  2. Hey! (7:45)
  3. Mary (6:28)
  4. Can't See (Useless) (4:34)
  5. Pedestrian Wolves (9:20)
  6. Lost Like This (4:54)
  7. Spider (5:23)
  8. War Again (5:53)
  9. I Am The Walrus (4:06)
  10. Tender Lumplings (0:44)
  11. Change (16:00)
  12. Helpless
    (cassette version only)
Total running time (CD): 73:03

Produced by: Danny Elfman, Steve Bartek, and John Avila. The album was released on Giant Records, which might not exist anymore. The album is still in production, though might be hard to find outside of an online retailer.

The Band: