Are you tired of being fragged by a Nazi idiot who just jumps around with a machine gun like a deranged kangaroo on speed? Do you like to win games by getting loads of frags without dying every 5 minutes? Then being a sniper is for you! This guide is specifically written for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, but the techniques will work in most games.

Basic Tactics

The most important thing to do when you’re a sniper is to have your back covered. Make sure you are either with your team of machine gun kangaroos (they will protect you from other kangaroos) or in a position easily defensible by yourself. If you're by yourself, a good thing is to walk. In most all games, walking will make you completely silent. So when you are sniping you can hear kangaroos approaching you, and point at the door to kill them. Headphones are a must for this tactic. Get a good set of headphones ($40 or so is fine); this way you will be able to hear footsteps more easily, but you will also be able to hear where it's coming from. Get a high speed internet connection. Join games with a ping of 50 or below. It’s very hard to snipe in a game when it takes a second for the server to figure out you fired and your bullets always whiz past the back of people’s heads.

Sniper Positions

The best sniper is worthless if he can’t see any targets or gets killed from behind all the time, so listen up. Don’t ever get the single tallest spot in the level. Most games don’t have a sun glare, so sniping upwards is just as easy as sniping downwards, except most kangaroos and other snipers just don’t look on the ground as much as they do inside a 1/2 destroyed building or other tall things. Make sure your position has cover from at least 3 sides, so that if there is another sniper shooting at you, you can get out of his field of view when you reload. If there is another sniper shooting at you, you probley know where he is. Don’t pop out of your same window and shoot at him, his crosshairs are waiting there. A better idea would be to leave the room and shoot him from a different one, or at least peek out of a different window.

Sniper Rifles

In mohaa, as in most games, the sniper rifles have a small clip (5) and have at least a second delay between shots. On the upside, sniper rifles usually kill with one shot. Don’t bother aiming for the head, because this is a super powerful gun and hitting them in the chest will kill them about 90% of the time anyway. Sniper rifles work at close range. If you are in a hallway, switching between sniper spots, keep your rifle out, it’s a lot better than your non-primary weapon (colt .45 vs. machine gun kangaroo, I don’t think that’s a good idea) always walk towards doors or corners, because if someone pops out, you have a good chance of shooting them before they can react. If you run into a machine gun kangaroo, take a tip from his book, move around. Your gun isn’t fast enough to sit still and shoot. Aim well; you only have a few shots before he kills you.

Shooting

Ah yes, finally here it is, the Shooting guide. You must determine how your game works with shooting. In mohaa, you have to shoot at someone to hit them. In No One Lives Forever, you have to shoot in front of someone who is moving, maybe the bullets in that game travel slower or something. Don’t stay zoomed in all the time. This is very important. If you’re always zoomed, odds are you can’t see the whole view from your window at once. This is bad, because you can’t see those nazis sitting around just waiting to snipe you, but taking 10 seconds to line up. When you’re at a window, always move. It will give away your position, but most snipers would have found you in there anyway, and moving around gives you the added advantage of being really hard to hit. Only stop right when you can line up the shot, don’t sit still and take 5 seconds or more to line it up, another sniper will have killed you.

Easy Targets

Kangaroos are hard to hit, unless they are bouncing in your direction, in which case, shoot. The single easiest targets are (other) newbie snipers. These people will stay still when aiming. Shoot at their heads, you have plenty of time and it makes you look good. If you’re not moving around, even sidestepping back and forth for 5 feet, you might as well shoot yourself because you are still. I cannot put enough emphasis in this, KEEP MOVING, or you will be a very easy target. If you have read this guide, and are not moving, I will personally join whatever game you're in so I can personally kill you.

Conclusion

Now, if you follow all my instructions carefully, you are on you way to killing many without getting hurt at all. In summary, find cover and use it. Sidestep out in the open, look around, move back. This goes along with ALWAYS BE MOVING. Your sniper rifle is preferable to whatever your secondary weapon is, so keep it out when you’re moving in hallways. That’s about all I can think of, so if you have anything to add, /msg me and I will. Enjoy your sniping and the best of luck to you!