We split up as soon as we got into the airport and I went into the men’s economy class changing room. There I undressed and put on a bathrobe, put all my clothes into the transparent bag provided, and put the open end into the heat-sealer. I didn’t have much baggage, but I still took a trolley: the strap of my shoulder-bag is uncomfortable through the thin fabric of the airport bathrobes.

I ran into Nell again on the way to check in. We walked there together then I kissed her good-bye and joined the line for the men’s check-in. I didn’t have to wait too long. The assistant took my ticket and ID and I stepped up to the biometer to have my retinas and fingerprints scanned. Then I threw the bathrobe into the chute, put my clothes-bag and luggage on the conveyor belt, and lay down behind them.

I always feel a little claustrophobic in the x-ray machine (OK, OK, it’s a CT, so I’m old-fashioned, sue me), so I’m glad the gas works quickly. Next thing I knew I was waking up in arrivals.

I know some people think the new security regulations are exaggerated, and that it’s overdoing things to anaesthetise the passengers for the whole flight, but I don’t mind it. In fact, I think it’s an improvement. I really used to hate those cavity searches.