Many authors create their own fictional universes. There's the Star Trek universe. There's the Ringworld universe, created by Larry Niven. And then there's H. P. Lovecraft's Dreamland.

The difference between this place and a normal dream is that it is an actual place, in that it can be entered, left, and then re-entered again, and it will remain relatively unchanged, just as any city or state or continent in the real world will remain relatively unchanged even if you leave it and come back. Also, journeys to this place are lucid and fully remembered, as opposed to the regular disjointed nonsense which most people's dreams consist of.

Dreamland can be entered by passing the Gate of Deeper Slumber, and entering the Cavern of Flame. Nasht and Kaman-Thah, the two ancient priests who reside here, can sometimes be asked for advice by the entering dreamer.

Below the Cavern of Flame, there is a long staircase which leads out into the Enchanted Wood. This forest is populated by Zoogs, who rather dislike Humans, so it is best to enter armed, move stealthily, and leave quickly.

It is not unwhispered that there are places on Dreamland that coincide with places on Earth. The Enchanted Wood is said to have such a place, and it may be inferred that Leng also has such a place, since H. P. Lovecraft gave that name to a place in Antarctica on Earth, as well as to a certain cold plateau in Dreamland.