The Blackstone Canal
once linked Worcester, MA
and Providence, RI
via a 45-mile canal, containing 49 locks which lowered the canal 439 feet over the course of it's journey. Begun in 1825, the canal was the last major canal built in New England
The canal was a major force for economic development of the region during the early industrialization of the area, and was a major contributor to the rise of both Providence
to the status of major industrial cities.
Doomed from the beginning due to issues with ice formation and water level (both flooding
), it closed in 1848. Its short lifespan and limited usefulness made this venture a decided failure, and it was quickly replaced with the still-running Providence-Worcester Railroad
Restored portions of the canal can be seen in Lincoln, RI
and Uxbridge, MA
. Portions of the canal lie in ruins underneath the city of Worcester
. There has been discussion of restoring the canal in Worcester
, but so far these have not resulted in any action.