押し出し

Kimarite (Sumo winning technique).

Oshidashi is one of the most commonly used winning techniques. The words ”oshi” and ”dashi” mean respectively ”pushing the body with hands, arms bent” and ”pushing out of dohyo”. It is a ”frontal push-out” where the attacker’s hands must be touching the opponent at all times, without having a grip on the mawashi (the belt).

This technique is often favoured by the oshi/tsuki specialist: the bull-rushing kind of rikishi who charges fast and agressively right at tachiai (the start of the bout). He will push and shove the opponent backwards out of the ring, pushing in an upward motion to ruin the other wrestler's balance.
Tsukidashi is very similar to oshidashi, as the only difference is that the winner does not have to have body contact all the time (”tsuki” is ”push/hit opponent’s body with hands, arms usually stretched”).

Ozeki Tochiazuma relies a great deal on oshi-zumo; of 33 wins in the last three tournaments, 25 were won by thrust- or push-out techniques - 14 of these were oshidashi. One was oshitaoshi (Oshitaoshi is almost like oshidashi, with the exception that the loser falls ("taoshi" is "making opponent fall onto his back or side"). The winner must still maintain bodycontact).

Of 1729 bouts in the Makuuchi division, 354 (20.47%) were won by oshidashi.1


Back to the kimarite menu


  1. Statistics from the March, May, July, September, and November Basho, 2005, and the January Basho, 2006.

My sources are www.scgroup.com/sumo and www.sumo.or.jp/eng/index.html
Thanks to Shro0m for help with the kanji.