According to a friend of mine, the static speed cameras found on motorways in the UK can be beaten very easily. If you drive through the speed trap at more than 70mph (the speed limit on British motorways), the camera takes a photograph of your car, including registration plate. After a short time (less than a second, I think), the camera takes a second photograph, and then, using markings on the road to gauge the position of the car at the two instances, calculates the speed you were doing.

What if you're out of frame by the time the second photograph is taken? The camera will not have two images of your car from which to calculate your exact speed. Now, its bloody obvious that you were speeding, but without an exact figure for your speed, the police have no real, admissable evidence against you.

I haven't seen the numbers, but apparently, the speed you need to be traveling in order to achieve this is 153mph. The car I usually drive does not even go up that far on the speedometer...

Please pretend you have just read a very well-worded disclaimer about not condoning use of excessive speed yadda yadda yadda...

Anyone with more information, ie: figures for speed camera timing, reports on incidents of this technique being employed or hell even personal experience, please /msg me!