Dried Tomato Chutney:
- 1 cup (about 2 1/2 oz./70 g) dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 large jar (about 4 oz./115 g) diced pimentos
- 1/2 cup (85 g) drained capers
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 teaspoons (20 ml) marsala or port (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a 4- to 5-quart (3.8- to 5-liter) pan, bring milk and broth just to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in polenta, salt, and chopped sage.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often and scraping pan bottom with a long-handled spoon (mixture will spatter), until polenta tastes creamy (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in egg and butter.
- Working quickly, brush a 9- by 13-inch (23- by 33-cm) baking pan liberally with water; then spoon polenta into pan and spread to make level.
- Let stand in pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Then cut polenta diagonally into diamonds, making cuts about 1 1/2 inches (3.5 cm) apart.
- Carefully arrange polenta pieces, overlapping slightly, in a greased shallow 1 1/2- to 2-quart (1.4- to 1.9-liter) casserole. (At this point, you may let cool, then cover and refrigerate until next day.)
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven until hot and tinged with brown (about 20 minutes; about 35 minutes if refrigerated).
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a small bowl and add boiling water to cover.
- Let stand until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Drain well; squeeze out excess liquid.
- Transfer tomatoes to a food processor or blender.
- Add 1/3 cup (80 ml) water, pimentos, capers, garlic, basil, oil, marsala, and mustard.
- Whirl until mixture is pureed and has a spoonable consistency. If chutney is too thick, add a little more water.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Divide gnocchi among 4 individual plates; garnish with sage sprigs.
- Offer chutney to add to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus 15 minutes for polenta to stand.
Cooking time: About 45 minutes.
Nutrition information Per serving:
- 361 calories (29% calories from fat)
- 12 g total fat
- 5 g saturated fat
- 70 mg cholesterol
- 1,100 mg sodium
- 51 g carbohydrates
- 6 g fiber
- 14 g protein
- 277 mg calcium
- 4 mg iron