Virus Profile



Virus Name:
W32/RealOnePlayer
Risk Assessment:
HIGH


Virus Information:
Date Discovered: 12/4/2001
Date Added: 3/2/2002
Origin: Unknown
Length: 8,782,848 bytes
Type: Trojan
SubType: Win32


Virus Characteristics:
W32/RealOnePlayer comes in two strains, RealOnePlayer Basic and RealOnePlayer Premium. It infects itself in the host computer by disguising itself as a proprietary media player. Many websites will host files of this proprietary format, and will direct the user to a page where they may download the player, however the player is actually a trojan.
When the "player" is installed, it will immediately associate itself with all media filetypes and installs a TSR (terminate and stay resident) program which runs in the background and cannot be shut down. The TSR program will forcefully associate itself with all media types any time the associations change. It will often interrupt the user with "helpful" messages which cannot be disabled.
RealOnePlayer Premium differs from RealOnePlayer Basic in that it also charges $9.95 a month to your credit card after it is installed.

Indications of Infection:
-Presence of "RealOnePlayer" shortcuts on desktop and in start menu
-Repeated appearances of "helpful" messages informing you about file associations.

Method of Infection:
The virus disguises itself as a media player available for download from the website http://www.real.com

Removal Instructions:
There is no known method of removing the virus, infected computer must be quarantined and burned to prevent further spread of the virus.