The Stingray is a low-end semi-automatic paintball marker manufactured by the Brass Eagle corporation. You can find it lining the aisles of the sporting goods section of the local Wal-Mart for a healthy sum of about $70, or packaged with a mask, hopper, elbow, squeegee and the ever-useful 12-gram cartridge adapter for about $100.

The Brass Eagle website has a lot of good things to say about this marker (Specifically, the newest model, the Stingray II Ice). It claims that the marker is "made from the finest clear, impact resistant plastic available and is virtually indestructible! It's perfectly balanced for a steady aim and a perfect shot. Its performance/price ratio is unmatched in today's marketplace. *It's* (note the spelling mistake on the website) predecessor, the Stingray II, is the world's number one selling semi-automatic paintball marker." The website goes on to laud the marker in true mass marketing style, right down to the "aircraft grade aluminum barrel."

It is quite true that the marker is nearly indestructible on the outside. Give it a few months, however, and it will destroy itself on the inside, undue friction and uncushioned impact will see to that. As for the part about it being perfectly balanced, such may be the case, but aiming this marker is an exercise in futility. The price/performance ratio is a questionable fact, because I'm fairly sure such a thing does not exist. You get exactly what you pay for. And it's the world's number one selling semi-auto marker because it just so happens to be the cheapest and the monetarily disadvantaged flock to it.

I seriously recommend against purchasing this marker. It's loud, wildly inaccurate, and it's hard as hell to cock. Save up an extra forty bucks and go for a Spyder Compact or a PMI Piranha.