1. What is your name?

Ken ('Spiregrain' on the website)

2. What is your quest?

I don't have a quest at all. Either on e2 or in general.

3. What is your favourite colour?

That full blue you get when video signals are disconnected, and that my first bike was.

4. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I think I discovered it via one of those links from slashdot. They used to link to technical definitions, using a superscript question-mark. Like this:

"...using a SCSI[?] disk..."
So I created an account on E1 called something like "kenkil" or "kilf". I lost track of my details soon afterwards. I joined E2 soon after it launched, with a new username, having failed to find my old one.

5. What do you see as the most significant changes that have happened to Everything over the past decade?

Raising the bar. Although the move from E1 was hugely significant, I think the very early E2 retained the wild-west atmosphere of E1. It was raising the bar that really started to change the type and balance of the content on the site.

Ten calendar years are like 800 internet years, or something- there have been many many changes. Maybe we need some sort of history node, or archaeologist post.

6. What are your favourite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

The obvious ones, like The Bear FAQ, Fair dinkum Australian nicknames, everything by aneurin, airliners that have gone supersonic and survived and How to survive a helicopter mishap.

Of my own writeups? The September/October 2006-era; Charles de Gaulle, Greater London Authority, Eel Pie Island, etc. And the earlier choral music ones.

7. What are your favourite and least favourite memories from E2's history?

Other Favourites: The Stockholm Syndrome European International White Nights Nodermeet, The Nodermeet On Which The Sun Never Sets, various weddings, the old Thursday catbox sessions playing the BBC Magazine caption competition, discovering an IRL friend was already a noder, the whole Tom Lehrer letter episode.

Worsts: The various dramas on expelling noders, pulling asamoths, etc.

8. What keeps you coming back?

The writeups and the catbox. Mainly the catbox. Also, I have a habit-forming personality. I have formed an e2 habit.

9. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it keeps going. It seems to have reached a nice steady-state.

10. What does E2 mean to you?

Back when I joined, there was a real thrill to typing words in, and having them appear on a real website! Kids today will not find this extraordinary, but I did, back in 2000.

11. Is E2 a writing site, a community site, an online encyclopaedia, or something else? What should it be?

It's all those things and more. I think the readership/writership is a big part of it. Full sentences! Capitalisation! Punctuation! It's really a colourful, general-interest magazine; and I think that's what it should be.

12. Who are your favourite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

My current dear noderfriends - you know who you are. I miss amnesiac and Gritchka the most.

13. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Using the magic of special effects, John Cusack can play all male noders, and Joan Cusack can play all female noders.

14. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

You should have asked some forward looking questions - about the next ten years!

Since being published, this has been edited to tidy some formatting, list an additional missed person, and provide one additional insight.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact spiregrain or Jet-Poop.