1. What is your name?

Keith

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

Over the last few years I've been over some choppy water. My contributions here have lessened in part due to this, but also because over that same period of time people have been finding me here. I've always been uplifted by strangers who come across my writing here and sign in to message me or send me an email, but people I've known have started finding me. Since I write a lot of true stories from my life, some people from my past and present have had issues with how they've been portrayed and that has led to some tension. In addition to this I work in the behavioral health field, which has become very sensitive to information broadcast via online media. I was asked to pull a series of writeups by a former employer even though nothing was written and posted that violated privacy laws or guidelines. They found the writeups due to terminology I used and requested (in strong terms) that I not post stories with characters derived from clients I worked with. Because of all this I find myself not posting a lot that I write because I don't want people yelling at me and forcing me to defend myself. I think the point is the web has become a lot less impersonal and anonymous. I think I liked it a lot better when you could be the anonymous stranger.

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

Back in 2001 I was working second shift for a company that didn't need a second shift, so I had a lot of free time on my hands. I was looking for all sorts of crazy stuff on the web. I enjoy reading bizarre stories and writing them, and something I searched for led me to a story here. I signed up for an account that night (under a different name than this one) and started posting crazy stuff I pulled out of my ass and wrote and posted in ten minutes. I started taking a lot of abuse that I considered unnecessary while a few people tried to steer me in the right direction and explain why crazy stuff you just pulled out of your ass doesn't fly here. So I decided to outwit the naysayers and started posting a lot of factuals until they left me alone. Then I went back to posting crazy shit I pulled out of my ass, but spent more time crafting it so it didn't look like crazy shit I pulled out of my ass.

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

Every once and a while I find a writeup I posted that I completely forgot about and read it with much surprise, sort of like a present from a past life. Those are my favorite writeups of my own, different each time. As far as other noders, I'd rather not single out any noders as I'm bound to forget some, although I've always been somewhat partial to Interstellar Scrotum's works.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

Two memories in particular stand out. The first was when iceowl showed up on the scene. Some of us were convinced he was cutting and pasting from somewhere because his writing outclassed most of what was on the site and he was posting with great frequency these excellent works. So I took it upon myself to challenge him, believing that if I chose a title with a somewhat defined topic he'd be unable to cut and paste something from the library I imagined he was abusing. The title of that writeup was Simple methods for conversing with those suffering from death. He filled it admirably and put me in my place. We've been dating ever since.

The second was during a quest I sponsored, the "Quest for the Mundane" in which users were challenged to concoct interesting writeups on mundane topics, filling nodeshells and boring nodes for simple titles. As part of the quest I recruited some of our top noders to contribute to a collectively written piece I pieced together to create the everyone account writeup under "Toaster."

Least favorite moment? The day one of my favorite writeups, a poem of some note, was removed by a noder who left here after telling me he would leave it here for me. I cannot publicly reveal the title of this work or the name of the author, but it was the end of a long and somewhat sad story.

6. What keeps you coming back?

There is a certain sense of commitment, in part to the site itself, but more to the people who have come to follow me here. When I get emails and messages about whether or not I am "okay" and whether I am going to post anything ever again I get this buzz and know I need to start pulling something out of my ass again. What most of these people who reach out to me want always falls into two categories. They either want something of my continuing story of my life experiences or some of the weird, wacky stuff I write, which isn't really just weird and wacky. I've always been driven to write about the kinds of people who fall outside of the mainstream, those who exist just outside the acceptable boundaries of society. I have a personal need to understand and relate to them, but these sorts of stories are usually inspired by something I witness. So those aren't the kinds of things I can drum up on demand.

So, I guess writing for an audience is what keeps me coming back. I think more noders should message their favorite writers here when they haven't seen something from them for a while and tell them they miss their work. There is a sense here that when we stop posting no one cares one way or another. It is good to let people know we care.

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

That it continues to ride the wave of what it is, which is something different to everyone who has a perception of it.

8. What does E2 mean to you?

It means I no longer have to leave manuscripts in bars for people to read.

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

I miss a number of people who are no longer here, and they aren't the same people the rest of you miss. Not by a long shot. I've had a number of interesting relationships with strange and unique beautiful people who have wandering onto this site for relatively brief periods of time.

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

I used to want Jeff Bridges to play me in a film, mostly due to his work in "The Fisher King" and "Fearless", two of my favorite movies featuring two characters he plays I relate very well to, but he's gotten old and grizzled looking and no longer looks the part. There is Sharon Stone, who looks exactly like me, but I now have to go with Henry Ian Cusick. I've been saying, "See you in another life, brother" before "Lost" was on television and I am The Constant. As you can tell I've given a great deal of thought to this question, although usually not in relation to this site. For some reason people are always asking me, "Who would play you in a movie about this place?" wherever the heck I am in life.

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

Atlantis

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

The unasked question is always the most valuable question.

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact TheDeadGuy or Jet-Poop.