In Richard Marquand's original cut of Return of the Jedi (overseen by George Lucas), the Millennium Falcon containing Lando and several rebels does NOT make it out of the Death Star in time. This version apparently failed audience tests (gee, wonder why). Here's the quotation from the ROTJ script:

REVISION

134 EXT DEATH STAR 134

An Imperial shuttle, with Luke alone in the cockpit, rockets out of the main docking bay as that entire section of the Death Star is blown away. But as Luke pilots toward the safety of the Sanctuary Moon, his thoughts -- enhanced by the Force -- turn to his friends aboard the Millennium Falcon.

The Falcon flies at top speed, with a single X-wing as escort, over the endless surface of the Death Star. A series of explosions within the superstructure follow, then swiftly overtake the small craft as it races for an exit.

135 INT MILLENNIUM FALCON - COCKPIT 135

Lando turns to Nien Nunb and shakes his head.

LANDO (into comlink) Wedge, I don't think we're going to make it.

WEDGE (VO) You'll make it. Just follow me Gold Leader.

LANDO (to himself) I promised to return his ship without a scratch...I sure hope that old pirate forgives me.

135A EXT DEATH STAR 135A

An X-wing, piloted by Wedge Antilles, races out of the exploding superstructure and whizzes toward the Sanctuary Moon. But the Millennium Falcon is not fast enough as it explodes with the Death Star in a supernova of glory.

136 EXT ENDOR FOREST 136

Han and Leia, Chewie, the droids, the Rebel troops, and the Ewoks all look to the sky as the Death Star reveals itself in a final flash of self-destruction. All except Han cheer, as the 30-year-old starship pilot feels a deep personal loss.

HAN (whispering to himself) Lando...

THREEPIO (misinterpreting Han's reference) They did it!

Han looks down from the sky to Leia, a look of sorrow and regret on his face. He knows he will never see the Falcon and Lando again. His thoughts turn to Leia, as she continues to look at the sky, watching for Luke.

(back to e2)

Lest you think I'm full of it, think back to the scene aboard the rebel flagship where they're loading up the shuttle with Han's strike team. He looks out of the cockpit window and says "I've just got a funny feeling... like I'm not going to see her again." This line wasn't changed when the new ending was inserted.