Kundun is a film made around 1996 by Martin Scorsese, featuring no famous actors. If you know that Kundun is a name (meaning 'The Presence' for the Dalai Lama ('Ocean of Knowledge') then you will have guessed the subject of the film correctly.

There is no storyline to the film other than the chronicaling of the period from when the fourteenth Dalai Lama was 'discovered' (c. 1940) until when he travels - exiled - into India (1959).

I think that the film first focuses on showing the interesting features of the Tibetan life and culture (then) and the Buddhist religion.
The 'main event' then occurs: Revolution in China and the 'motherland's' reclaiming/invasion of Tibet. An interesting feature, I suppose because he is such a devastatingly infamous 'real person' (TM), is having Chairman Mao as an actual character.
From here the film shows the horror of the situation for the Tibetans and the sad dilema for Kundun.

Pretty images with effective, 'clever', occaisionally odd, film techniques seem to be used throughout. The mix of these 'surreal' sections and the depressingly 'real' story is interesting and makes a good film, I think. No additional off-topic storyline is required to make a complete movie.

The Film could also, perhaps, be seen as a study of Buddhism and so the Dalai Lama's problems. He seems to acknowledge at points that Tibet is no paradise politically - saying, as the Chinese invade, something along the lines of 'It is a shame, as things were going to change around here soon anyway' and stating that he felt Buddhism had some things in common with Socialism. Personally I don't think the leader seriously had any political plans, and since the time he has not made political points further that being against China (for obvious reasons). However, the invasion forces Tibet, Buddhism and the Dalai Lama to be exposed to the 'modern world', which seems a Great Shame!
The Dalai Lama has said that if he does return to Tibet it will be only as a spiritual leader, not political, surely suggesting that he quite fancies a Democracy.