So you think this Michelle Wie girl is gonna be hot on the LPGA? Sure, that's a no brainer. But do you think Mia Hamm is the only woman who can inspire the young'ns? That Anna Kournikova's the hottest woman in sports? Then it's obvious you haven't heard about Jennie Finch. What the name doesn't ring a bell? Just wait until the softball coverage for the 2004 Summer Olympics starts. After demolishing every collegiate record and pitcher she's faced, Jennie Finch is primed to explode on a global scale, even though some might argue that she's already in her prime right now.

While many of us remember our 12th year of life sitting in front of the TV watching Saved by the Bell reruns, Jennie was out working hard. Her skills had already begun to shine when she helped to lead the California Cruisers to the National Championship for 12 and under softball. This would be the first of many, many championships and awards won by Ms (soon to be Mrs.) Finch.

She's been pitching since she was 8, and winning championships at 12, La Mirada High School just wasn't safe. Jennie lettered in softball all four years, volleyball 2, and basketball in her last 2 years at high school. Finch dominated the softball field, as was expected. She finished high school with a record of 50-12, four saves, 6 perfect games, 13 no-hitters and 14 one-hitters. She also struck out 784 in only 445 innings of work, a mark which is digustingly close to 2 strikeouts per inning pitched. Even if you cut that in half, to make the number of starts a bit closer to a pro pitcher, her line would read better than almost any in the big leagues. The people have noticed this, and showered her with random awards, such as the Suburban League MVP Award her junior and senior year, being named to the first team All-Suburban League for three years, Press-Telegram's Player of the Year in her senior year. She was also named the 1998 La Mirada Female Athlete of the Year.

When Jennie finished her high school career, she continued her studies and her love of softball at the University of Arizona. She still put up amazing numbers on the softball field, whiffing opponents while still making solid contact herself, Jennie "Don't call me Jennifer" Finch became a standout star for the Wildcats. It would be here in college that Jennie would expand her area of expertise, playing a few games at first base as well as pitcher. Her time spent at first would not diminish her pitching abilities at all. She finished her collegiate career with an astounding record of 119-16, including a stretch that spanned 3 seasons, where she had 60+ straight wins. No pro-player has even come close to a streak as remarkable as that one. But let's not forget her perfect 32-0 record her junior year, nor her U of A records for innings pitched (876.2) and strikeouts (1,028). While the Wildcats of Arizona did make it to the title game of the NCAA Women's College World Series in her senior year, they ended up losing to the California Golden Bears, 6-0. But don't feel too bad for J-Finch, her Wildcats won the championship during the previous year. Her number at the University of Arizona, number 27, was retired on May 9, 2003.

Well on her way in three different aspects of life, this girl has it all. She's currently engaged (sorry fellas, this cutie is off the market) to Minor league ballplayer, Casey Daigle. She has appeared as a color commentator for ESPN's showing of the 2003 Women's College World Series. She also co-hosts "This Week in Baseball", which has brought Jennie to meet a whole bunch of major league stars. She has received batting advice, as well as a few notes on her pitches from the supreme hit-meister, Tony Gwynn. She also pitched against A-Rod, but Alex Rodriguez did not want to swing at any of her pitches. However, since A-Rod "had nothing to prove," Bob Melvin the current manager for the Seattle Mariners stepped in to take some cuts, and whiffed mostly. With that being done, one manly male was forced to prove his man-ness and hit a pitch off this girl, so Mike Cameron promptly stepped up to the plate. After fouling off two pitches, Cameron quickly struck out as well.

One cannot give Cameron too much flack. When people go to play softball they do not expect to see a woman like Jennie Finch. Packing more schwing than three swings, Jennie is a certified hottie, having been elected 2003 Hottest Female Athlete by ESPN's Page 2. She dethroned perennial champion Anna Kournikova. While she has the body to be a model, Jennie is doing what she loves best, playing softball. She's a member of the 2004 USA Olympic Softball team, and plans to later play in the newly formed pro-softball league. No matter what happens, all I know is that this woman will be in front of a TV camera, either commentating on baseball or softball, or playing the game she loves.



Hehe, almost forgot about all my shameless plugs, thanks Bri

Jennie Finch Bio - http://www.usasoftball.com/Women/Olympics/2004OlympicGames/Bios/finch.html
The Official Website of Jennie Finch - http://www.jenniefinch.net/
10 burning questions for ... Jennie Finch - http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/s/questions/JennieFinch.html