Well, there definitely are people that do.

Working at a supermarket for the time being, I get a great sense about who consumes what. Specifically I work in the beverages department, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

(Please note: I currently live in Germany where alcohol consumption is legal at 16 years of age. You can buy a .5 liter can o' Becks beer for approximately 50 cents in any supermarket in the country.)

We sell about *3* times as much beer in cans as we do in bottles. Bums come in at any time of the day and buy beer in cans. Old ladies come in and get their beer in cans. Teenagers sidle in and get a couple cans, of course, actually paying for them is only an option...

Basically, most people will settle for canned beer. Bums don't care about the quality of their alcohol. Neither do teenagers, who just want to get high quick. And old ladies do it because of the cheaper price tag.

Besides the obvious advantages of beer in bottles, they are also much easier to recycle. In Germany, the bottles are returned for a refund and are washed and refilled.

Drinking beer in a can symbolizes that you don't give a fuck. If you truly drink beer for the taste (which is something I can only understand in the case of Guinness), you will buy your beer of choice by the bottle. Or straight out of the keg (even better).

This has been a Standard Nodeshell Rescue.