So there I was, looking for a CD to pop in, looking for something different. That I don't listen to quite enough... there's elastica sitting by the large SpongeBob tin, formerly holding that lovely stale-upon-opening prepackaged popcorn, which had only been eaten a little from, whilst watching Spun with my then-girlfriend, and then sat for a month....it was thrown out in order to use the tin for spare change to later cash in at Commerce, as the little bin I was using (had itself formerly held zip disks) was getting too full and coinage was falling off every time my pockets were emptied into it...

But I digress. (Acknowledgement to be granted to the first noder who tells me, over /msg, if it was Catcher in the Rye, or A Separate Peace which had the bit about having a teacher who had the students yell "Digression!" at each other during an oral presentation) And I digress again. E2 is conducive to digressing somehow, the way I am forever opening hardlinks in new windows for reading in a few minutes when I'm done with the one I was reading.

RIGHT! Anyway I looked around some more....picked up Swordfishtrombones for a minute, even opened the case upon my return to sitting in front of the computer, but when I pushed the button and the mug holder opened, I realized Disco Volante was sitting in it still, from days ago when I listened to it then....not always being bothered with the computer or playing music on it....

It was overwhelming, the desire to listen to this! So Tom was back in his jewel case and the mug holder was banished back to the inside of the machine, to hold the spinning Disco Volante....skip track one, always! But it was MANDATORY to listen to it cause it was just too synchronous! I mean, I was just talking via instant message to this friend of mine how I thought the weirdness in my ear I'd been feeling (which turned out to be an ear infection made worse by the common cold, which led me yesterday to spend two hours or so of what could have been napping time clicking about, reading about amoxicillin first, cross-referencing, reading discussions about why antibiotics are not necessarily good to prescribe all the time, and why you should always finish a course of antibiotics, MRSA....e. coli, yogurt, and eventually about the life cycle of the parasite responsible for malaria....) was brought on by listening to Mr. Bungle's first, self-titled album over headphones at a louder volume than i realized I had it on to...yes, the album I've been intending to write a proper review of on here and haven't gotten to....well, I need to do a good one of California too....and on top of that, I had just been browsing e2 minutes ago, and that's where I had written the review of that very album that everyone seemed to enjoy (no, seriously, I was thinking about this. I really am listening to it now. You can't make this shit up, people, this is not intentional tooting of one's own horn here), so like, I just HAVE to listen to it, like, now!

And it is still excellent. Of course I'm on a big Mike Patton kick, I haven't been bothered to change the CD in my car in a while, so I've been listening to Angel Dust for the past three days. Love it. Sometimes it's good to listen to the same album for three days. I remember this episode of listening to Bricks Are Heavy, over and over again, at the computer....on cassette. On a player with no auto-reverse. Yes, at the computer, every 22 minutes or so, I was getting up, turning around, walking two long steps, crouching down, popping the tape out, and flipping it over. Not a literal THREE DAYS, but whatever obscene amounts of time I was sitting at the computer during those three days. Vastly more time than I spend in my car in these past three days....but there have been some shitty road conditions on drives to and from work! And that ride to bring leftover guacamole to aforementioned ex-girlfriend, who probably got sick by hanging out with me too often lately, bringing me soup and whatnot, so I felt bad she hadn't eaten for the day yet and felt like crap...the (only 10-15 minutes each way) ride there and sitting around eating and watching the tube kinda cut into my sleep for the night, but it's okay. I've been to the day job, and although I'm probably going to go grocery shopping instead of nap, I'm in a good place. The day job is done, only the night job awaits, really....I have almost six hours yet! I can nap later.

And I really want to take a stab at homemade sopa de tortilla. It's a personal favorite at the Mexican restaurant in the next town over. And I want to try making my damn own. Yeeeeeah. The recipe here suggests boneless chicken breast, but I think I'll be using one of those rotisserie chickens they cook and sell at grocery stores, often still nice and warm....probably eat some of it while I'm pulling off pieces of chicken to put in the soup.

But I'd been wanting to go grocery shopping anyway. Mainly, oddly enough (or not?) for hummous, fruit juice, and yogurt. But I mean, grocery shopping alone or just with a bunch of your friends, not for actual things to cook for dinner for the next few days and general household needs, but for snacks or barbeque supplies (the food and paper plates and such anyway, in Jersey you can't buy beer at a supermarket), or ingredients to try that recipe you found on the internet....this is such a different experience than in childhood, where your parents dragged you to Shop-Rite once a week and used the word "no" a lot....yes, you can most definitely have "that" now, "that" being whatever random thing you pick up and want, and have money for....there is no wandering around on the floor picking things up and waving them at the parental units anymore with a questioning look on your face, there is only the limits of your wallet, or if need be, the little pieces of plastic within....

It's like the difference in the portion of a vacation or any other long journey that you spend in a car. As a child or even teenager, it's one thing, which may involve scrapping with your younger brothers and getting yelled at, or it may suck less because it involves headphones, a book or a Game Boy....but either way, it's another activity likely to involve the old parental veto, "NO, we are not getting Burger King, NO, you can't have a quarter, just do your business and get back in the car" or "No, we are not stopping at (random tourist attraction/store/whatever)"...but when you start going away with your friends for the weekend or even taking a good few hours' ride by yourself, that is totally different...Yes. You can stop wherever the fuck you want. And it is glorious.

So yes. Maybe I'll go grocery shopping....