Well, buddhists aren't exactly all a bunch of benevolent mantra-chanters either you know. Buddhism has its share of skeletons in the closet, and is burdened with just as much hypocrisy as Christianity. There are many different branches of Buddhism, Theravada, Mahayana, Zen, etc. Not all buddhists believe in the same thing, every time I hear some Free Tibet kiddie talk about the unity of Buddhism and the fracturing of Christianity I have to laugh.

Dirty secrets? Oh there's plenty of that. War monks in China wrecked havoc upon each other and the countryside for the prestige of their temple for eons before the dynastic emperor put a stop to the whole deal. Same thing in Japan. If Buddhism is all about peace and loving, here lies a little bit of hypocritism. War monks constituted as some of the most savage people in China at one time, combining religious craze with martial arts do act as puppets to the bidding of their leaders. They killed for fun and without remorse.

Tibet, the big treasure ground for killing in the name of Buddhism. For eons, the theocratic dictatorships of Tibet assaulted, tortured and murdered the peasants of Tibet for their own personal gain, while putting the facade of religious leadership and spirituality as a set of "Lamas". Are they peaceful? No. Are they benevolent? Heck no. They were greedy despots who stole from their peons to build glorious temples plated with gold to entertain their own perverted sense of enlightenment.

Sri Lanka doesn't exactly have a peaceful history. Atrocities abound, and the Sri Lankan Civil War between the government and the Tamil Tigers is still raging on. For a country so devoutly buddhist, they are killing each other with gusto and a smile on their faces. I doubt any of them have any remorse for their actions. Buddhism is supposed to be peaceful, but its practitioners rarely follow its guidelines.

Thailand. It's long history of violence and vice does not speak well for Buddhism. Not to mention all those other countries such as India that has had a buddhist regime some time in its past. None of them followed peace and loving. Buddhism has just as many flaws and hypocritical believers as any other religion. Don't let the Dalai Lama and his nonsense trick you. Remember, his predecessors gleefully ripped open the guts of countless peasants in the name of Buddhism.