Rhapsody in Screwed :: Part V
22:05 :: 5.30.01

got up early, had a smoke, listened to the the and set up some last minute file transfers. walked to werk in the early afternoon light. it was setting itself up to be an awesome day. then i got to werk. a nice long day of formatting floppies and watching my computer crash. i still can't figure out what went wrong. one netscape window, audiogalaxy satellite, and windows exploder should not wipe out a machine. i begin to suspect bad ram.

(a day for drinking from the ashtray...)

after i get out of that hellacious mess, i begin the walk home with pleasant thoughts of the phone call i am expecting...someone has to have had a better day than i, and i think i know who can get me laughing again. unfortunately, a random gust of wind catches me daydreaming and pops my new parasol inside out, tearing the paper and breaking the ties. cursing, i at last arrive at home.

"freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."

my mom came by and brought me a book of rudyard kipling stories that used to belong to my great aunt irene. i like kipling. i don't care if he is "politically incorrect", the man wrote great stories. we talked about how my tuition was going to get paid this month, and i realized just how badly i had gotten screwed in the timesheet goof. took $300 out of savings to pay my bills until the paycheck arrives. not feeling too good about it, but i don't know what else to do.

welcome to the desert of the Real, and damn is it deserted.

jerrett called, as i was killing off the Blue Blasphemy mix, and the sound of his voice was all i needed to remember that the Real didn't have to be real enough to kick my ass up & down the block. we talked a bit about how life is, how life ought to be, and why you shouldn't play with handcuffs unless you know where the keys are. finally finished off the mix and threw a nice cover on it. the insert text reads:

(Love Songs for a Bruised Generation) This mix began on a whim, some months after it became clear that MW III : The Kings of Vegas would not be put to its intended use this year. This is the culmination of much rumination and speculation on the nature of truth, love, and club-pop. B.in B. was begun on Thursday May 24, while avoiding Euphoria(tm) and its regular denizens, and painting the case of an outgoing computer. In the end, the mix is dedicated to the two real people in my life-- the light one and the dark one, you know who you are. And to the rest of you loons, take a lesson and take notes: you never know when that sickening sensation will sneak up behind you and ram a battleship through your chest. Good luck to you all, my merry band of lovers and fighters. :: yrs, ****
i'll spare you the track listing, but i'm damned proud of this one, to be totally honest. i don't know what the hell i'm trying to say here, right now. i guess i should put a lid on it until i figure it out, lest i shoot myself in the other foot as well...