Thermopylae was one of the classic battles of ancient Greece. One of the most famous holding tactics of all time. Xerxes I, the king of Persia invaded Greece in 480 BC with an army estimated at 250,000 men, as well as an enormous fleet. Approximately 1,400 Greeks, led by Leonidas, the king of Sparta, met the Persian army at Thermopylae ("Hot Gates"), a narrow pass dividing north and south Greece named for the hot springs nearby. The bottleneck was easily defended, and the Greeks held the Persians for 2 days before a traitor showed Xerxes an alternate route around the pass. The Greeks were forced to retreat, but Leonidas and 300 elite Spartans remained behind to delay the Persians, dying in the process, but buying even more time.

The time bought at Thermopylae allowed the Athenians to escape Athens in their ships, and flee to Salamis, while their ground troops fell back to fortifications at the isthmus of Corinth. Although Athens was taken and razed to the ground by the Persians, the speedier Athenian fleet managed to trap the persian fleet at Salamis and utterly destroy it, despite being outnumbered 3 to 1. A year later, the Greeks, under Spartan general Pausanias, obliterated the Persian army at the Battle of Plataea, ending Xerxes designs on Greece.