Published by Bullfrog and designed by Peter Molyneux, Dungeon Keeper was supposed to the reverse of an RPG. You would play the dungeons Keeper as opposed to the Hero.

The concept was pure genius, Instead of the Avatar and his party romping through a dungeon, slaughtering all sorts of horrible beasts, you play the Dungeon Keeper. Your goal is to build up your dungeon, populate it with monsters and traps, and protect it from the heroes.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out quite right. You build up your dungeon, usually fortify it so no hero could access it at all, train you minions to become master fighters, and then go forth to destroy a rival keeper, or the heroes dungeon. That's right, the heroes build there own dungeon.

In the average RPG you would gather a party, go into the dungeon, kill monsters scattered along the way, eventually reach some horrible boss creature, kill it, and fight your way out.

In Dungeon Keeper you build a little village for your minions, with a hatchery, lair, training room, library, treasure room, ect. Wave after wave of heroes attack your dungeon. When they get close enough, you drop every creature at you disposal on them, creating one big ugly melee you can't see through. If the heroes win, they go on to destroy your dungeon heart (no boss creature). If you win, you get attacked some more.

Don't get me wrong, Dungeon Keeper is a truly excellent game. As an RTS, it's very innovative. For example, you have no direct control over your minions. it's not select, click location to go/attack. You can only pick up creatures, and drop them in places you would suggest they work. But if they don't like manufacturing traps and doors, dropping them in the workshop will make them mad.

Though it doesn't live up to it's claim of being a reverse RPG, maybe this is what being a dungeon keeper is all about. Perhaps if they made a true reverse of the RPGs everybody plays, it just wouldn't work as a strategy game.