I agree Valentine's Day is a Hallmark and commercial holiday. The greeting card, candy, jewelry, and flower companies must make a killing on this holiday. As children we are forced to buy a box of Valentines to pass out. Imagine how many elementary school students there are in America and then multiply that by the cost of a box of Valentines. $$$.

So as commercialized as this holiday is, there is still something to be said for waking up on this day next your Valentine.

As the alarm goes off, I can hardly wait to hit the snooze button. I don't want to get up, I don't want to go to my law class, I don't want to go to work, but mainly I don't want to have to get out of bed and leave my love there. Knowing that I have to get up, I roll over to shut off the alarm. This is it I have to wake up. Screw Valentine's Day. The campus will be beaming with red and pink and everything will look reminiscent of the Pepto-Bismol I took when I was a kid and was desperately sick. I don't need to be reminded of that stomachache. Then I open my eyes. And I see him sleeping there next to me. How could I think that Valentine's Day sucks? It is a day devoted to expressing my love for him. I don't need a special day to do it, but while watching him so peacefully sleep I appreciate that today is just for our love. I can't wait for him to open his eyes so I can whisper "Happy Valentine's day" in his ear. Something that just moments ago I was cursing as the buzzing alarm was echoing in my ears. I can't wait to lean over to softly give and receive a gentle morning kiss from my Valentine.

As he wakes up, Valentine's Day becomes more and more special to me as he says "Happy Valentine's Day" to me first. We both know that we don't need an environmentally friendly Hallmark card, or a cute stuffed bear to express our love. It is just there, and we both know and feel it. When I leave for my law class and walk through campus, my fear has come true. There are tons of red shiny balloons and pink hearts scattered about. But some how it doesn't seem so bad anymore, because in each one of them I see a symbol of Michael's love for me and my love for him.

While Valentine's day passes I miss the feeling of waking up next to my Valentine and I look forward to later falling asleep in his arms.

I still do not support the commercial holiday, puke at the sight of overly cute lovers, and wouldn't be sad to see the holiday go, but for right now I just love my Valentine.