There are reasons for suspecting that some sort of Unified Field Theory exists. It can be seen in the equations.

In days of yore, Sir Isaac Newton "discovered" gravity. The force of gravitational attraction between two objects of masses m1 and m2, at a distance of r, is given by the equation

Fg = (g*m1*m2)/(r2)
where g is simply a constant. The constant, of course, changes depending on the units of measurement that are chosen. Simply put, g is completely arbitrary and could be eliminated if we chose the right units.

As a side note, the force of gravity felt by each object due to the presence of the other object is identical. The reason that an astronaut falls toward the earth, while the earth does not appear to fall toward the astronaut is an issue of mass. F=m*a where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The Earth is far more massive than the astronaut, and hence does not accelerate nearly as quickly as the astronaut. In fact, you wouldn't even notice it.

Similarly, there is an equation which describes the amount of force felt (either attraction or repulsion in this case) by a charge due to the presence of another charge at some distance r. Much like gravity, the force felt by each particle due to the presence of the other will be identical.

FE = (k*q1*q2)/(r2)
Where k is another one of those arbitrary constants, and q1 and q2 are the charges on each of the two particles. k is also sometimes expressed as the inverse of 4*pi*E, where E is the permeability of free space and is really the Greek letter which looks like a capital E. Once again, though, it's arbitrary. Change the units, and the constant disappears. Suppose we changed the units for mass, charge, and distance in a way that would eliminate the constant for both equations. We would be left with the following:

Fg = (m1*m2)/(r2)
FE = (q1*q2)/(r2)

Gasp! Those equations... look the same. Perhaps mass is related to charge, meaning electricity, in some manner. This is the stuff of Physicists' wet dreams.