Just a quick addition to steev's writeup above:

People Like Us released their entire discography for free download in 2003, and on July 19, 2004 released an online-only album, Abridged Too Far. The accompanying press release states:

We strongly believe in the power of profit through free distribution. Often people have never heard of an artist because they aren't being distributed through as many channels as they should be, due to the very poor state of music/media distribution for non-major label music coupled with ignorance of the way that avant garde art forms infiltrate mainstream culture. Also many prints of a work are allowed to go out of circulation or are deleted for no reason other than cost effectiveness by a label/publisher. This makes perfect sense financially, but no sense whatsoever that a year's work by an artist should also disappear for such reasons. So get all of this while you can, and we completely endorse getting one's work out there, no matter what. If you don't share, your profit is limited.

As well as using ephemera from British culture, People Like Us remix audio and video from the Prelinger archives, and nearly all of their work is licensed under Creative Commons.

All info from the official People Like Us site, http://www.peoplelikeus.org.