"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

Born Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili in Gori, Georgia (Russia - duh) 1879, Josef Stalin is best and only known as the dictator of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics USSR (SSSR) from 1928 to the day of his death March 5 1953. He was the successor to Lenin.

Josef Stalin was a very active member of the Bolshevik party (commonly known as the Communist party nowadays), and played a big role apparently, in the revolution of 1917. As he progressed in the communist ranks, he was in 1922 made General Secretary of the Soviet Central Commitee.

He was educated a priest in Tblisi (He was the best pupil in the school and earned a full scholarship to the Tbilisi Theological Seminary), later he led the Red Army. Clearly he was a man of great contrast. In any case, he was named a revolutionary by great communists -- this after (while still an organizer in the Bolshevik party) being called "unimportant, but good at what de does - organizing" by the same people. Some of these were executed in public.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns.
We wouldn't let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"

In all this, in essence, he is best known for leading the war on the allied soviet side against the Nazi Regime of Adolf Hitler and company, and last but certainly not least -- for killing an enourmous number of his own people. Hitler's statistics are said to pale in comparison, but I am not to be the judge of that. It's estimated to be anywhere from 20 million to 50 million russians.

His Death.
Some speculate that a KGB chief named Lavrenti Beria could have been responsible for killing Josef Stalin. Although this has never been confirmed, his funeral, for the man who killed so many soviets, was attended by so many people that many were trampled to death in the utter chaos.

The Steel Man's body was embalmed and placed next to Lenin's in the great tomb at the Red Square. In 1961 however, the body of Stalin was transferred to a graveyard and buried. There are tanks named after him, and he was made man of the year 1939 (that is not always a good thing) in 2000 by Time Magazine.