My home and place of study, for the next four years or so.

The campus is great, in a shit way. It's undeniably ugly, no matter what the weather, but looks wonderful at night, when the moon and the building lights reflect off the vast lake. Another joy is being surrounded by ducks. It may just be me, but I can't help being cheered up by watching nature's most absurd creations going about their day, especially when they try to land on the lake. The geese, however, are evil bastard predators who hunt in packs. Although watching them attack short-wearing joggers does make me smile, I'll admit.

The lake is the campus' saving grace, there's no denying it. Not only does it make the place bearable and provide a home for the ducks, but it prevented the entire place sinking in this year's flooding. All rain on campus flows to the lake, which then dumps it's load in the Derwent river. Which then floods the nearby town of Selby, but hey, at least we students are dry. We're the future, you know.

The campus is pleasingly politically apathetic, although religious groups seem to be quite active. The various student cinema options are superb, although the Student Union Ents nights feel like they're trying too hard to kick off York's reputation as a relatively sedate campus (it is, and that's why I like it). My only real complaint with the place is the fact that it's got no venue; gigs in the Central Hall were banned after the place was trashed by Bob Geldof's Boomtown Rats. Thanks a bunch, Bob.

Oh, and with regards to the computer labs, there's now three of them, and they run a NT4/W2K/Slack7 triple boot. Most CompSci assignments done using Linux proggies, and the whole place doesn't feel too corporate, although Nortel Networks have plastered all the machines in these labs with stickers and branded mousemats, lest we forget their donation.