I was able to temporarily reunite with my long-distance girlfriend via internet chat last night. She told me a story that happened to her on Tuesday.

She was at a coffee shop with two of her friends, a short Asian girl like herself, and a large black dude. They were waiting in line for coffee when suddenly this voice came from behind her making a rather lewd suggestion. She turned around to see that it was coming from a wheelchair-bound amputee. She tried to ignore the man, but he would not shut up.

"Come here and sit on my lap," he said.

This would be difficult, regardless of the situation, as he had no legs.

Rapidly snapping up their drinks, the intrepid trio tried to evade the lapless lecher, with her large male friend taking care to always be between her the disturbing unfortunate.

Eventually, Mr. Crazy-No-Legs-Wheelchair-Man loudly announced to the coffee shop patrons that he "Couldn't keep up with that hot ass," so he was gonna go wait outside.

They tried to finish their drinks as if nothing had happened, and hoped that he really was as addle-coved as he sounded, and might just forget why he went out side and roll off into the night. Such luck was not to be theirs, for as they were leaving, the obviously desperate and socially inept stranger started calling after her again.

They ran to the car, as he rolled after them. She cried most of the way home.

I hugged her, though my arms could not touch her. I'm not a violent man, by any means. Indeed, I usually take a quiet pride in being able to withstand occasional abuse and/or hard times. Still, I told her that if she were ever to be attacked by legless wheelchair bandits, I'd take them out for her.

"I'd kick him," I said.