a phenomenom i have observed among people who travel for extended periods, to distant places.

recently in tokyo, a brittish girl went missing. i, living with a close friend of this girl, noticed that for all the proclaimations of concern/sorrow/loss the people closest to her continued about their daily business as though nothing were amiss ie. going to work, going out after work, going to bars and picking up. this behaviour seemed rather odd untill i realized that the traveling life style was probably the cause. let me explain:

people who travel here regularly do so on tourist visas, maximum 3 month duration (without extension).

in this short period, people (being social creatures - supposedly) bond quickly and intensly with those around them. this means that colleagues or housemates become "best friends" often, but only for the length of their stay.

the 3 month visa also makes saying goodbye a more common place occurance. think about how often you have said goodbye, and how it felt. the traveller performs this routine every 3 months to numerous "best friends", and, i suspect, are desensitized to it.

in my home country this is also apparent in those who have returned from tavelling.

is the traveller a person how fails to make secure relationship bonds? or, as i believe, numbed by the experience?



well they caught the guy who took the grrl.
the best friend sold the story to a UK tabloid for an undisclosed 5 figure amount. - great friend?

she still hasnt been found.......

everything has been forgotten..........




shes been found,
..and it appears that this nodes title is tastelessly appropriate.
she was found in 8 seperate pieces, with the head discovered inside a block of concrete.

i wonder if 5 figures is enough profit for such a thing?