Scienceworks is the Science Museum of the Museum of Victoria and is located in a suburb of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. You can get there by driving over the West Gate Bridge or taking the train to Werribee and getting off at Spotswood.

I arrived at Scienceworks just after 10am and the first exhibit I saw was called 'Clockwise' which was about clocks and the history of telling the time. It had a futuristic time-traveller guide in it called 'Eon' who had silver skin, weird clothers and square hair.

The first part of the exhibit had a list of all the different time zones in the world and the different time zones (they had a clock for Moon time but it didn't have any dials.)

The later part of the exhibit showed old clocks and had a 'time gate' you could answer by getting 4 true/false questions correct.

The next exhibit I saw was one about survival in harsh conditions and what makes up the human body. This is where I found that my body contains 61 litres of water. At the end of this exhibit was the very popular gallery of visual illusions to play around on.

I did have a quick look at the sporting exhibition but there was a school group rampaging through it so I didn't stay long. The kids seemed to like the 'beat Kathy Freeman' test.

After this I went outside to the old Sewerage pumping station (which was the original use of the site) and had a look down into the running sewer - fun for all the family! I also got to see one of the original pumps working and caught the later part of the tour of the pump house and workshop where they are restoring some old steam tractors and an actual 'steam' steamroller. I liked when the mechanic running the pump was explaining how it worked to the little girl.

My next stop was the Body Odyssey exhibit which had another school group in it (I counted about five seperate school groups there on the day) which had amongst other things a crawl-through digestive system and computer quizzes where it made a fart sound when you got a question wrong, which meant I deliberately kept getting questions wrong just to hear it. I wish I had taken a camera as there where some good things to take pictures of in there such as the sign 'pooing and weeing' (the scatalogical nature of some exhibits is probably justified due to the former use of the site.)

I had a quick look upstairs next in the children's exhibit 'Itty Bitty Super City' which had a lego reconstruction of the city of Melbourne and heaps of other activities. There was also a small display from the collections (they were displaying things starting with J), which included many different types of barbed wire collected by a man called Jack.

As I had about an hour to go before the Planetarium show, I decided to go on the collections tour where we managed to get 2 tour guides for only 2 people on the tour (including myself). It was explained that most of the collection is housed in storage at this location and the natural history related material is housed in Moreland.

The collection started with an exhibition in the 1890's where a lot of material lent to a colonial exhibtion was not returned and it just sat in a shed. The oldest thing they had in storage was the printing press from 1837 used to print the first Melbourne newspaper (it was mostly made out of wood.)

Other interesting things in storage where the four seater bike, old horse & buggie carts, rare Austrian car, lots of models of ships, a Mini Cooper and many other things stacked on vertical shelving.

The Planetarium was good and it had a show on the planets which included the Kuiper belt (a belt of ice outside the solar system) which is not normally covered in documentaries about the solar system. Some of the special effects did get annoying though. There was also a good explanation of what to see in tonight's sky.