Here you go, the food that got me through the lean months when I didn't have a job. Very filling, hearty, substantial. And bland. This is not a gourmet dish.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup rice

1 cup beans (any kind, I like black beans)

1 big potato (Ideally Yukon Gold or white)

1 can sardines or similar fish like kippers, ideally packed in oil instead of water

1/6 stick butter

Ground pepper or tabasco sauce, to taste

 

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Soak beans in water for 8 hours or overnight. Then drain beans, rinse, and cover beans in 2 inches of water.

2. Boil beans on high for thirty minutes or until fork-tender.

3. While beans are boiling, boil rice in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes or until done.

4. While rice is boiling, melt butter in big skillet.

5. Dice potato and add to skillet. Stir until potatoes are covered with butter. If that is not enough butter to handle all the potatoes then add a tablespoon of canola oil.

6. Fry potatoes for uh...until golden brown. I don't know, I never got that part right. Look, just make sure the potatoes are fried well enough.

7. While potatoes are frying, take fish out of can. Drizzle whatever's in the can into the skillet to add a little of that fishy flavor to the potatoes. Chop fish very fine and add to skillet. Stir for one minute.

8. When beans are done, drain and add to skillet. Stir for thirty seconds.

9. Depending on the size of the skillet you can dump the rice in there as well once it's done. Or just put it in a big mixing bowl with everything else and combine. I usually combine everything in a few plastic leftovers containers.

10. Add ground pepper, tabasco, or really any sauce you want, anything would add to the flavor. Try it with peanut sauce and tell me how that goes.

 

Serves: Please tell me you're not making this for anyone besides yourself.