Just like any self respecting geek community the AFOL community has come up with a large number of internet acronyms to make life easy on the newsgroups. Below follows a list of some of the more common ones that I have encountered at one point or another. There are lots more but these are the more interesting/amusing ones.
- AFOL: Adult Fan of LEGO.
- BI: Building Instructions.
- BF: Black Falcons, a Castle play theme; Boyfriend; or Brickfest, http://www.brickfest.com.
- BFF: Black Falcon’s sic Fortress, 6074 and 10039.
- BL: Bricklink - http://www.bricklink.com
- BSB: Black Seas Barracuda, 6285.
- BT: Blacktron, a Space play theme - the evil ones with the black visors. Also BT1.
- BT1: See BT.
- BT2: Blacktron (the future generation), a Space play theme - the antifreeze-green ones.
- BURP: Big Ugly Rock Piece - either of the mountain pieces, appearing usually in grey shades, but also tan, yellow, white and green.
- CAD: Computer Aided Design.
- CRAPP: Crummy Ramp and Pit Plate - the baseplate with a ramp and pit.
- DDK: Droid Developer Kit, 9748.
- DSDK: Dark Side Developer Kit, 9754.
- GI: Guarded Inn, 6067 and 10000.
- GoB: Guild of Bricksmiths, http://www.bricksmiths.com/.
- HOG: Hand of God - when you move minifigs around, they think it’s this.
- ISD: Imperial Star Destroyer, 10030.
- KABOB: Kid with a Bunch of Bricks.
- LTC: LEGO Train Club, a suffix, usually appended to an area. A group of local train fans.
- LUG: LEGO User Group, a suffix, usually appended to an area. A group of local fans.
- LUGNET: LEGO User Group Network - http://www.lugnet.com
- MF or m-f: Minifig; or, Millenium Falcon, 7190.
- MIB: Mint In Box.
- MISB: Mint In Sealed Box.
- MISP: Mint In Sealed Polybag.
- MOC: My Own Creation. Refers to original creations and also to the My Own Creation LEGO line. not to be confused with the moc!!!!!!!!
- MT: Model Team, a LEGO line, or M-Tron a Space play theme.
- NLF: Non-Lego Friend/Fiancé/Fiancée (usually Friend).
- NLP: Non-Lego Parent.
- NLS: Non-Lego Spouse.
- NLSO: Non-Lego Significant Other.
- PEWC (pronounced “puke”): Prefab Explorien Wing, Cockpit.
- POOP: Piece (that can or should be made) of Other Pieces.
- POV: Point of View; or, in POV-Ray, a rendering program for virtual images.
- RIS: Robotic Invention System
- S@H: LEGO Shop at Home - a direct order branch of LEGO. Also known as LS@H, SAH, LSAH.
- SNOT: Studs Not On Top.
- STAMP: Sticker Across Multiple Pieces.
- SPUD: Special/Single Piece/Purpose Ugly/Useless/UnLEGOish Design/Decorative. Many people think that the many meanings of this acronym make it a great one, as it is not Single Purpose at all.
- SW: Star Wars, a LEGO line.
- TLC: The LEGO Company. Known by this name since autumn 1999, formerly TLG.
- TLG: The Lego Group. Nowadays TLC, The Lego Company.