Okay, here's the thing, don't do this: don't buy milk from the Chevron Kwik-E-Mart. I bought a 1/2 gallon whole milk yesterday, dated June 5. Milk should be good for 1 week past carton date. The higher the fat content, the longer the shelf life. This morning the milk was curdled. Chunky. Lumpy. Solidified globules. It's just not worth the trouble to me to haul it back & demand a refund on less than US$2. But I'll never buy my coffee milk there again.


I'm happy now. Finally got around to installing Live365 player on work 'puter, so I can listen to that '80s shite that I like so much. I can listen to streaming music as long as my developer/boss isn't programming. My computer is the production server in our development environment, so when she's programming, she's accessing my black Dell box. I'm just the information architect/web developer, so it's all magic to me. I only care about the end-user. I take all this development on faith.


Had a good long talk with Sifu Patty last night. I've been training Mo Duk Pai kung fu for five years now. I've stuck with it through constant bruising, black eyes, a broken nose and a shoulder separation. I started with absolutely no goals, no aim, no ambition. I just did whatever I was told and advanced through the ranks without much thought about it.

Now I'm going up for brown belt and I still don't know why I put myself through this. It's hard. I am no fan of physical exertion. I'm not worried about the test itself - I did the brown test a few months ago without any additional preparation (it was a surprise test - thanks Sifu!). But I have to do a week of intensive training with Sifu Chris. I'm anxious because I don't know what will happen. I'm afraid he'll yell at me and make me do Pak Si Lum 6 for four hours.

Talking with Sifu Patty is good. She's like the hip school counseler all the kids can talk to. Sifu Chris is like the high school prinicpal all the kids are afraid of. I don't know if they play good cop bad cop deliberately, or if it's just their personalities & postions in the school (Sifu Chris is the chief instructor). I'm just uncomfortable unburdening myself to Sifu Chris - I think he's tired of our bullshit. But Sifu Patty listens and offers suggestions and insight.

No real resolution or answers from our talk last night, but after this test is over, I will reassess what I am doing in kung fu and what I hope to get out of it. That will help determine my future course.


Rose Festival opened last night. Right on cue, it begins raining in Portland