Or, International Commission on Illumination, the CIE sets international colorimetry standards.

Though the organization was not formally created until 1913, the need for the CIE was noted at the 1900 meeting of the International Gas Congress by many parties who wished to address the photometry of incandescent gas mantles. This quickly led to the formation of the International Commission on Photometry. As research progressed, the commission realized the need for standards and measurements in the general field of lighting, and the CIE was formed.

The stated objectives of the CIE are as follows:

  1. To provide an international forum for the discussion of all matters relating to the science, technology and art in the fields of light and lighting and for the interchange of information in these fields between countries.
  2. To develop basic standards and procedures of metrology in the fields of light and lighting.
  3. To provide guidance in the application of principles and procedures in the development of international and national standards in the fields of light and lighting.
  4. To prepare and publish standards, reports and other publications concerned with all matters relating to science, technology and art in the fields of light and lighting.
  5. To maintain liaison and technical interaction with other international organizations concerned with matters related to the science, technology, standardization and art in the fields of light and lighting.

To accomplish these objectives, the CIE distributes research amongst seven (formerly eight) divisions. These are (As stated by the CIE):

  1. Vision and Colour Terms of Reference: To study visual responses to light and to establish standards of response functions, models and procedures of specification relevant to photometry, colorimetry, colour rendering, visual performance and visual assessment of light and lighting.
  2. Measurement of Light and Radiation Terms of Reference: To study standard procedures for the evaluation of ultraviolet, visible and infrared radiation, global radiation, and optical properties of materials and luminaires, as well as the optical properties and performance of physical detectors and other devices required for their evaluation.
  3. Interior Environment and Lighting Design Terms of Reference: To study and evaluate visual factors which influence the satisfaction of the occupants of a building with their environment, and their interaction with thermal and acoustical aspects, and to provide guidance on relevant design criteria for both natural and man-made lighting; as well as to study design techniques, including relevant calculations, for the interior lighting of buildings; incorporating these findings and those of other CIE Divisions into lighting guides for interiors in general, for particular types of interiors and for specific problems in interior lighting practice.
  4. Lighting and Signalling for Transport Terms of Reference: To study lighting and visual signalling and information requirements of transport and traffic, such as road and vehicle lighting, delineation, signing and signalling for all types of public roads and all kinds of users and vehicles, and visual aids for modes other than road transport.
  5. Exterior Lighting and Other Applications Terms of Reference: To study procedures and prepare guides for the design of lighting for exterior working areas, security lighting, flood lighting, pedestrian and other urban areas without motorized traffic, areas for sports and recreation, and for mine lighting.
  6. Photobiology and Photochemistry Terms of Reference: To study and evaluate the effects of optical radiation on biological and photochemical systems (exclusive of vision).
  7. General Aspects of Lighting This Division was closed down at the CIE Session 1999, its activities were distributed among the other CIE Divisions, the CIE Central Bureau and the Board of Administration.
  8. Image Technology Terms of Reference: To study procedures and prepare guides and standards for the optical, visual and metrological aspects of the communication, processing and reproduction of images, using all types of analogue and digital imaging devices, storage media and imaging media.

Above information valid as of October, 18, 2002 from: http://members.eunet.at/cie/