Debut album from Welsh band Super Furry Animals, released in May 1996. Hit the giddy heights of number 23 in the UK album charts. Contains the first attempt of the band to sing in English as opposed to their native Welsh. The Super Furries sound stems from the prog-rock versus punk rock collision of guitar-pop, abetted by their early days as a techno band. The album cover features a series of passport photographs of the various identities used by cannabis smuggler, Howard Marks.
  1. God! Show Me Magic

    Immediately loud, an atheist's anthem, with rinky-dink piano in the background helping to push the beat along. Comes in under two minutes long, ending with screams. One of the singles from the album.

  2. Fuzzy Birds

    Typical stoners song, the lyrics concern a dream the guitarist Bunf has with his hamster. Can a hamster wheel provide electricity? Under two minutes again, this song is slower than God!, features a nice flute solo and has a nice hummable pop tune.

  3. Something For The Weekend

    More drugs references, this time profiling the highs and lows of LSD. Got a great chorus, sounds a bit like Blur, this became the band's first top twenty single. Ends with the nagging repeating refrain of "I just keep repeating myself", dragging the song over the two minute mark.

  4. Frisbee

    More guitar pop, and more lyrically strangeness. A Bruce Forsyth catchphrase gets turned into a lagging terrace chant like chorus. More oohs and ahhs get layered over and above the main lyric and guitars.

  5. Hometown Unicorn

    The first SFA song I ever heard. The first single released from the album. Slowest song so far, contains another nagging memorable chorus and a fab guitar solo. Song is about alien abduction, specifically the case of Frank Fontaine. Mentions of unicorns add to the 70s prog rockish feel. It also finally breaks the three minute mark.

  6. Gathering Moss

    Slow mournful ballad. A lament by Gruff about the pace of modern life "you and I, united by itemised bills" transforms into a more uplifting ending. Also has some great keyboard sounds and showcases the bands imagination in a hymn to laziness.

  7. If You Don't Want Me To Destroy You

    Best song about gravity ever? This was the last single from the album but is probably the one most of the record buying public remember. Another great pop song, augmented by orchestra (possibly on loan from E.L.O.?) that kicks in half-way through.

  8. Bad Behaviour

    Fairly straight-forward poppy punk number. Two thirds of the way through though Cian goes wild with his box of tricks as the song heads towards a loud frenetic climax, complete with Elvis-like uh-uh-uhs. Before the days of The Man Don't Give a Fuck, this was the band's set closer.

  9. Mario Man

    Another slower song, this time referencing console games. Nice example of Gruff's world weary vocals and has another nice guitar solo near the end.

  10. Hangin' With Howard Marks

    Probably the weakest track on the album. Contains more hero-worshipping of Howard Marks, but doesn't really add anything musically to the album. A few nice lyrical touches though.

  11. Long Gone

    Like Gathering Moss, another slow ballad, but this time a few strings add to the wistful vocals. Then the song meanders while a drunken answering phone message recorded by two friends (one of who is Rhys Ifans of Notting Hill fame) of the band plays in the background.

  12. For Now and Ever

    Album finishes with a nice beery sing-along "we'll be together, for now and ever", and probably the only song ever to mention weatherwoman Sian Lloyd. Then it ends in chaos as everything gets turned up to 11 and every special effect and button in the studio is turned on.

All songs written by Super Furry Animals. Produced by Gorwel Owen. Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Wales. Released on Creation Records.

Fuzzy Logic

as described in the album sleeve notes:-
"in mathematics and computing, a form of knowledge representation suitable for notions (such as "hot" or "loud") that cannot be defined precisely but which may depend on their context. For example, a jug of water may be described as too hot or too cold, depending on whether it is to be used to wash one's face or to make tea. The central idea of fuzzy logic is probably of set membership. For instance, referring to someone 5ft 9in tall, the statement "this person is tall" (or "this person is a member of the set of tall people") might be about 70% true if that person is a man, and about 85% true if that person is a woman. Fuzzy logic enables computerized devices to reason more like humans, responding effectively to complex messages from their control panels and sensors."