"All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings." - Wordsworth

In Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, Wordsworth makes Nature and the landscape a starting point of a mental process which leads to mental speculation. The landscape and the objects in it arouse a sense of beauty but the emotion of the mind beholding them is stronger.

The poem begins with a concrete observation of nature and moves from there to an internal discussion of philosophizing of a broader psychology and then moves again to return to the landscape. This movement is typical of the great Romantic odes in general and can be seen again and again in Wordsworth's poetry and in his contemporaries.

Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey is a classic example of the great Romantic lyric. The poet is transformed by his observations of nature and his memory and reflection on nature when he is not directly faced with it continue to transform him throughout his life.

The poem can be divided into a number of sections all centered around a particular landscape. In the first section the poet is observing a revisited landscape which prompts him to reflect on his own inner development. He then recalls how his memory of this same landscape has made him a better person and has affected every aspect of his life. He then returns to his observations of the landscape but now recalls his earlier and younger experience with it. - "the glad animal movements" of his younger self and body. Moving through the poem he then sees the landscape through his sister's eyes and recounts how her experience of the landscape echoes his own earlier experience. He then outlines his hopes that she too will be so affected by this place, this nature that it will make her a better person as well.
(This is a simplistic reduction of the poem)