The works by the Christos, which are made of manufactured materials, still create a meaningful connection with the environment, even if their purpose is not always entirely obvious. In their many pieces, including “Running Fence” and “Surrounded Islands”, the intent doesn’t merely lie in creating an aesthetically pleasing piece of environmental art, which many observers have assumed. A major part of the intended meaning exists in the steps the Christos take to allow their piece to be built. Before creating a work of art, they often have to fill out hundreds of environmental impact sheets as well as report to committees that don’t want the piece to see completion. Despite the environmental controversy that follows the Christos’ pieces, the Christos never intend to disrupt the environment in a permanent way, and their art is not about creating a dominating sculpture (such as works my Michael Heizer). The finished artworks cause little to no damage to the environment and the pieces are always temporary. However, the finished artworks are also very extravagant and time consuming, and the Christos hire local construction workers to build the projects. By hiring local workers, the piece gains a sense of unity and belongingness at the site. The beginning struggle that transitions into warmhearted welcomes from the construction workers brings consciousness to the land and people, which is a major part of the artwork and meanings implied.